Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tour of Brenda's Kitchen - Part 2 - The Island

These two 'assemble yourself' base cabinets were purchased at Target many years ago.  They were purchased separately, (about a year apart) ...each time on sale for $35 each.  In our previous home, one was used in the closet to hold my shoes and the other in the hallway to hold photo boxes and empty frames.  Now they are the base for my kitchen island.  I found the formica top at a thrift store for $20.00.  It was too long, but cut  about 18" off and now it's the perfect size.  I used matching shelf liner (red gingham check) on part of the top (to match the cabinet I featured in my last post).  I'm using a runner for now that I've had for many years on the other side of the top.  I have some plans for the sides, but for now, it's the 'functionality' of this project that I am lovin'!!!





2 comments:

  1. That is a great way to get an island in the kitchen. Looks really good. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay--I'm convinced we were separated at birth! I now know why after reading my blog, you felt like were old friends--we do a lot of the same kinds of decorating. I'm about to tackle my cabin kitchen, and you have given me some great inspiration. I'm gonna wait till I get my camera for my birthday this moth, then I'll start doin' some of my own before and afters on my blog.

    Can't wait to read more posts--i better get started!

    ReplyDelete